Zeppelin and Garrison Museum Tønder

The museum is closed during the winter. We open again in May 4, 2019.

The “Toska” shed

The Germans wish to use more, bigger and stronger airships, resulted in building a so-called double-hangar.

The double-hangar was finished on the 17. January 1916.
It was enormous: length : 730 feet, wide : 220 feet, height : 130 feet. It was named TOSKA.

The two earlier hangars were now renamed to TONI and TOBIAS ( TO = TOndern ). In that way the location of every airships shed could be identified by the first two letters in their name.

TOSKA got a bad reputation from the beginning because it was involved in many accidents.

Before the shed was finished, in November 1915, there was an accident during the gas filling of Zeppelin L 18. The airship caught fire and went up in flames.

In March 1916 Zeppelin L 22 crashed against the gate of TOSKA. The front end of the Zeppelin was badly damaged.

It got even worse in December 1916 during the take-in of L 24 into TOSKA. A powerful wind got Zeppelin L 24 out of control, so that the airship hit a light bulb in the roof of TOSKA - the result : a short cut that started a fire, which burned out both L 24 and Zeppelin L 17.

In the end of the war was Toska was bombed by the Royal Navy and the Zeppelins L 54 and L 60 inside were destroyed.